R. V. Cothran held a ten day tent meeting in the Berryville Community during September, 1942. As a result, eight people began meeting in the home of Brother and Sister J.N. Carter.
The Berryville church grew to the point that a residence was purchased and converted into a meeting place in June of 1944.
A tract of land was given to the church by Mr. And Mrs. Genie Jones, and a brick building was constructed on the property to accommodate about 270 people. The property was located about 1.5 miles from Lebanon Road on Old Hickory Boulevard. Some of the members during this period included Fred and Lula Williams, Mamie Hatfield, Fana Wilson, Radie Wright, James and Geneva Johnson, P.W. and Ruby Crawford, Roy and Ruby Hunt, Margaret Bingham, Virtue Donaldson and Clester Draper.
July 1965 an eight-acre tract of land was purchased at 4004 Lebanon Road.
In September 1965, a tent meeting was conducted on the new property with the church changing its name to the Hermitage Church of Christ.
On January 1, 1967, the Hermitage Church of Christ conducted the first worship service in the new building at its present location. The new auditorium seated about 800 people with approximately 35 classrooms, three nurseries, office, study and library.
On December 7, 1969, a new educational wing was added with additional offices and the auditorium was enlarged.
A new wing was added consisting of a chapel for the deaf and additional classrooms. The auditorium was completely redecorated and a cry room was added at the rear of the auditorium. The fellowship room was enlarged and redecorated and a new kitchen was built.
Construction was completed on a multipurpose building containing enlarged kitchen facilities, fellowship room, benevolent center, library, offices and a gymnasium with an elevated-walking track.
Tom Norvell was hired as our Lead Minister.
Jeff Palk was hired as the Student Minister.
HCC set out with a new purpose: Love God, connect with others, serve the world. These three core values drive everything that goes on at HCC.